Resolution

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

jackDEFECTORbauer
Regular
Regular

Resolution

This is related to my wireless question from the other day. My current contract job is supporting roleout of thin client machines to users homes.

HP Thin Client machines are being deployed to allow people to work from home etc. One of the problems I've encountered is setting up the screen res on each device. Yes this is easy - but these machines are configured onsite, not at users homes.

I have to setup a mahcine with a res of 1600x1200. Now there are no screens onsite that go up to that res so I can't set it in the usual way. The user could potentially do it themselves, but if your familiar with embedded XP you know that on a reboot any changes the user has made are reset.

Does anyone know of a method for forcing windows to change to a pre-set resolution?

Going to the users home is a possibiltity but total waste of time and money (although not mine so I'm not too bothered) just to tweak a resolution setting.

Powerstrip is no good either, can't add any software to the machines at the mo.

Thanks for any help.
Thundercat
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Re: Resolution

Could export the reg settings in

HKCC\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\

for default then change video settings and export again for custom settings.

Prob being their login would have to be enable to edit registry to click / install the reg file.

Don't know myself of any build in command to do this though but I would of thought there was a .dll that could be poked for this.

BTW were the wireless answers any good?
http://www.youtube.com/user/71Thunderous
New youtube channel (I fecked up my old one)
jackDEFECTORbauer
Regular
Regular

Re: Resolution

Cool, I saw some reg stuff after googling - it's a just a question of finding the right entry for the resolution - there were 3 to choose from.

Time will tell if it does the job - being tested in the wild tomorrow by the user.

And the wireless - well it seems there is no way to block access to WEP networks etc, not without extra software at least. Certainly I'm not going to provide anyone with access to less than WPA2. There is nothing to stop the user connecting to an unsecure network - except that they'll have to redo the key information each time they boot up.

No big deal really - would just be nice to totally block it.