New build - finished

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

Redddraggon
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Re: New build - finished

I've got windows installed on my other drive ATM, so I'll play around with it like this, just not install everything now, as when a new SSD comes I'll have to go through all the process of installing all the sh!t again.
jackDEFECTORbauer
Regular
Regular

You could check what SATA mode your bios is set to. Mine had a weird issue recently, started randomly crashing and most of the time failing to post after a re-install. Turned out it was SATA set to AHCI mode that was the problem. With AHCI on, it would stall on detecting the hard disks. Switching on without the SSD is fine. When setting SATA to IDE mode all my problems dissapeared, although I suspect I may have lost some speed with the switch.

All this because a badly programed creative auto update messed up windows. AHCI worked fine before then and now it doesn't. :(
Redddraggon
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

It failed when it was in IDE mode. AHCI didn't help. Tried swapping to different ports. Tried 3 or 4 versions of the BIOS. Nothing what so ever worked to bring it back to life.

Trawled the internet for solutions, and nothing has worked. Going to try it on my nForce 650 chipset board today to see if it's anything to do with the new mobo, but I doubt it - HDD works in every slot and on every setting, whereas the SSD will work on none.
bambam
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

It failed when it was in IDE mode. AHCI didn't help. Tried swapping to different ports. Tried 3 or 4 versions of the BIOS.
lol, glad I didnt suggest all those things then... it does sound like shagged hardware... my SSD (Intel X-25) installed on the same MB without a sniff of an issue. And a suppose it's good news the PC otherwise runs fine with the temporary HD installed.

At least you'll see how much the PC speeds up when you swap out the temporary HD for the replacement SSD...

Bambam
bambam
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

You up and running with the full build now dddddragon? Windows boot in 0.0001 seconds?

Bambam
Redddraggon
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Nah. Long Story.

The SSD failed on the Saturday of a bank holiday weekend, so I couldn't contact Scan til the Tuesday, then the couriers who were supposed to collect the SSD didn't bother turning up. Scan eventually got the SSD on the Friday, and within 51mins of receiving the SSD they had tested and confirmed the fault. I told Scan I wanted the SSD replacement sent to a different address, and I wanted a different SSD instead of the Corsair (loads of faults reported online). A week later they sent out the wrong SSD to the wrong address. It's taken them ages to recall the SSD from the couriers. Hopefully have the SSD by the end of this week though, and I can finally get on with installing everything for what will hopefully be the permanent build. To say I'm pissed off is an understatement. The whole RMA process is taking far longer than it should have taken - especially when they only took 51mins to test the SSD, confirm the fault, and email me to tell me they'd send a replacement after the couriers had delivered it.
bambam
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

within 51mins of receiving the SSD they had tested and confirmed the fault
Result! You got past the more shitty 'we can't find anything wrong with it' crapola, but I guess that doesn't help with the rest of it. Meanwhile you can tweak the cpu clocks...

You'll get there and it'll all be worthwhile.

Bambam
Redddraggon
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Fingers crossed that my new SSD should come tomorrow aa)
LK3da
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

SSD FTW!
Redddraggon
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Well my SSD did come last week. As I had a mobo with onboard SATA3 I went for the Crucial C300 as a replacement.

But......I should have done some research on the crappy Marvell SATA3 controller on my mobo. In the end it happens to be that the SSD runs loads faster on the Intel SATA2 controller than it does on the SATA3 controller.

A bit annoying, but at least it's not conked out yet.
bambam
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

what, a review like this one?

Cheer up, your system is still as fast as it gets. Look at the IOPS performance of any SSD versus the Barracuda hard drive in the same review... it's no bad thing that the Intel ICH10 drivers are so fast and maybe one day the SATA3 reality will catch up with the potential - I don't think you're missing anything right now. I have the same mobo and didn't worry about not using the sata3 ports (or the usb3 ports for that matter...)

Bambam