Forum Member Map List

Discuss anything.

Moderator: Administrator

shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Forum Member Map List

Hey Guys,

I dont know who is administrating the forum, but is it possible to insert a map which shows us where everybody lifes?

I found 2 things about that: 1. "GeoMap" Demo: http://webdesign-kompetenz.de/geomap.php
and 2. "Phoogle" Demo: http://bassface3d.com/uploads/demo/demo.html

Phoogle looks better and works with the google map data. So i think this would be better. Maybe there is another way to do this. I saw on other places some .kml files for google which include every position of they members.

If you have a Test Forum Server I can try to imlpement the phoogle plugin. Its long time ago that i've done some stuff with php but it didnt look hard to implement it in a basic version with fix position datas.

You see, my english is really bad. Pls feel free to send me the correct version of my sentences via pm :D
flangyflange
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Re: Forum Member Map List

Good idea me thinks.
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

i tried something with the maps.google stuff.

i create a test map where you can see what i have done. its just a test, dont be angry about the irish color ;)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... bfe6b1114b

its a little bit of work to insert everybody but its ok. if someone has a googlemail acc i can add him as a partner to insert some stuff too.

You see, my english is really bad. Pls feel free to send me the correct version of my sentences via pm :D
MegaYoda
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Shutty wants to stalk us 
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

yep :D in england i can stalk with street view...germany didnt have it at the moment hehe

i only want to mark the citties, not the true house. i dont know how secure google maps is. there is no way to block the url for unregistered ppl. so everybody who have the url can see the map.

flangyflange
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Though I would opt to reveal names and locations to OFc members only, not to everyone on the forum. Maybe like in the phoogle demo above, where when not logged in you only get to see the locations (without person's names).
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

flangy you are crazy :D

i dont no really if phoogle is up to date and will be completly supported for phpbb3 ... its a little bit confused in the www. Think the mod developer changed and the new one isn't so active.

the google link i posted was a simple selfmade google map with a googlemail account. thats really easy. you can show this "map" on the google search and you can block it to make it "private" where everybody must have the link to see the map. I've done the second.

If someone has a test server running with apache+php+phpbb3 I can try to implement phoogle but i havn't the time to set up a complete server at the moment.

bambam
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Although this is guaranteed to mean shutteh will come round and stalk each member of the clan (I actually wrote something else but toned it down for this public bit of the ofc interweb) I actually like the idea, but I don't know how the info can be easiest maintained. Maybe a forum thread where members can post their location (or just take it from the profile) with an editable top post with the URL of the map. But sharing a google account is a bit tricky.

Bambam
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

we can put it in the member section and i can add everybody in the map. thats no problem.

the phoogle plugin should use the location from the account settings. i dont know if it works correct but i think it should do it.

and yes if i have to much money and time i will travle through the whole world and drink a beer with everybody of you slags :D

dze_vinda
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

this is a really cool idea - can we hook up our avatars to this as well?
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

oh i see you can add your own figur picture in google map in 64*64 pixel. dont know how many colors allowed. normaly you have only 16 colors for icons ;) its only a url i can add.

ok i tested it :D it works ;) check the map now!

Schlack
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

I hope everyone has plenty of scouts in their house for when shuttey comes a knockin
"It takes a brave man not to be a hero in the Red Army". - Joseph Stalin
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

scouts didnt help you. you dont know how to use it ;)

hey vinda, can you change your avatar for a test and check the map if it refresh your new avatar picture? it just insert the url. i dont know if the url i used is only your actual avatar or it is everytime your avartar.

Is anyone interessted I can create a new secret map with real location data( city, not street and number) optional with name and maybe a picture if he wants :D just write me a pm and i create a map and post the link in the member only part or send it via pm
Last edited by shutteh on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sayril
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

Looks nice shutty! aa)
JazzyJay
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

You ain't getting any!
> ... so you found a deal seal and it was wearing a penoir?!
>> That's ludicrous, we put the penoir on it.