Car Electircal Problem

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

jackDEFECTORbauer
Regular
Regular

Car Electircal Problem

It seems that as soon as I get one problem fixed on my car it develops another issue. In case its relevant - I took my car (VW Polo 2000) to a VW garage to get the door lock replaced recently - I could not unlock from the drivers side door.

So the door lock now works fine but the car radio doesn't. It now remains switched on all the time - even without the key in the ignition. When I stop the car and turn the engine off, the radio does switch off - but as soon as I fully remove the key it comes back on. The radio is one I fitted myself and putting the original back in results in the same problem.

I've now resorted to driving around with a pair of pliers so that I can remove the fuse when parked up.

I'd like to have a go at solving this one without going to a garage but don't really know where to start. I'm asuming its a short somewhere? I've no idea how to get access to the wiring behind the dash aside from the fuse panel - I'm guessing it won't be easy.

Any ideas or advice much appreciated!
IXL
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council
Location: WEDS : GRID, THURS : D.O.D : SOURCE, FRI : C/STRIKE SOURCE, SAT/SUN : BATTLEFIELD 2

Re: Car Electircal Problem

Blimey, it does sound to me that you have it connected to the wrong part of the loom.

It should usually be fitted to the ignition live and earth, but it depends on the model of the car and stereo. Ive build 5 cars, 3 restores and 2 kits and sometimes on the newer cars its down to a fault with the fuse box. Maybe Gav knows more on the model, I dont know.

IXL
Gavac220

When you installed the stereo, I'd guess one of the switched and permanent live cables, arced against the bracket.

Try swapping the two cables around. They should be red and yellow cables (switched and unswitched supply). They should be red and yelllow anyway :?

If you still have no luck, then let us know in here. I'm back on Tuesday to work, and I can certainly get the answer then.
jackDEFECTORbauer
Regular
Regular

Thanks chaps. I'll see about getting a photo up later of the wiring - I remember seeing red and yellow coloured cables. So you can use either?

I should have the wiring diagram for the radio somewhere - I hope I didn't chuck it.
shutteh
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

did you lost your radio settings if you turn off the key?
red and yellow are 12V. one is permanent on and the other get power if you turn your key. if your radio lost all the settings after turn off your radio it could be the wrong wiring.

You see, my english is really bad. Pls feel free to send me the correct version of my sentences via pm :D
MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Err - did you try switching it off?

Seriously - I've had cars that you could use the radio without the keys in the ignition.
---------------------------------------
Life is a Terminal Disease

Muddy
jackDEFECTORbauer
Regular
Regular

I'm begining to think that power to the radio is normal and it was broke when I went to get the lock replaced - they may have fixed it without telling me. Just odd that until a few weeks ago the radio remained off without the key.

Thought I had another issue the other day, came back to the car to find the n/s sidelights on. Thought I had yet more electrical problems until someone mentioned that can happen if you switch off with your indicators on. My indicator was indeed on at the time - did not know they did that.

Thanks for suggestions, I'm going to leave it be for the time being!
MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Yeah - my passat does that. Some countrys motoring laws used to require it I believe, i.e. the facility to turn on one sidelight (probably the one nearest the middle of the road) when parked at night on a street without streetlights.

Muddy
Mseries3
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

My Car does not have a radio... :(
MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

You are just strange MSeries. Buy a £10 radio and throw it on the back seat.

Muddy
Mseries3
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

I don't have back seats.... :(

Got a Radio, speakers ect just need the time to wire it in ;)