Broadband Router

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

MegaYoda
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Broadband Router

I was wondering if any of u techie guys & girls can help?

I am currently using Virgin cable broadband along with a Belkin 2.4Ghz 54g Wirless router(bout 4 yrs old now). My Pc is hooked up via lan cable to the router and is fine playing CSS until my son starts surfing on his pc using a wireless conection from the same router.

Would buying a new router with wireless N or N+ make a difference?

Any input would be appreciated :D
MudShark
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Re: Broadband Router

I doubt it. I have got the bees knees of routers (Draytek Vigor 2820) and it has a handy feature, you can set up a range of addresses and apply a max throughput to each address. This works if wireless or not (something the earlier Drayteks did not do), when I want some quality time with CSS I limit all connections to 350k in and 150k out the way. This usually gives me a smooth game no matter what everyone else is doing. My line is approx 1.25meg in and 800k out so dividing that by 4 (usual number of users on my network) gives you the approx values I set for the throttle.

What other routers offer this option I do not know. I'm sure somebody out there can help you. The 2820 retails for £170. (My work pays!)
---------------------------------------
Life is a Terminal Disease

Muddy
MegaYoda
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Re: Broadband Router

cheers muddy for the info :D