ATi updating problems.

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

DeathPony
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

ATi updating problems.

So I updated my drivers for my 4850 the other day (because I ALWAYS forget about them). I think the latest Catalyst version is 9.4 or something, BUT everytime I go onto L4D, Steam displays this message of my drivers are out of date :S , so I click on the link and it shows me the latest drivers....9.4!

Confused, I download them again and apply them just to make sure. I still get the same message.

Well after rummaging around on my catalyst info center, I find that Steam is stating that my Direct3D is out of date - but i thought that that was automatically updated upon installing new drivers?

oh and GTAIV is lagging severely, even on medium settings (like dropping down to 4fps when dying and stuff), when it used to run about 30-50fps on the highest settings before the new drivers were released. So im blaming that atm.

well anyway, im basically a monumental noob when it comes to this sort of stuff and would like to know what the 'ell is going on :P

Thanks
- SDP

smithster
Regular
Regular

Re: ATi updating problems.

id uninstall all traces of the ati driver and catalyst and then reinstall rather than installing over the top of old ones.

download latest drivers, now i dont know if you use the catalyst control center but if you dont then just downlaod the driver and not the whole suite of stuff.
download ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/
uninstall any ati stuff as normal from add/remove programs
go into device manager (right click on "my computer" --> properties --> hardware tab --> device manager)
drop down display devices --> right click on the ati stuff and click uninstall
restart
this will make windows use its own drivers.
the display will be huge as u have no drivers.
run ccleaner to remove any traces from ya registry
go into c:\program files\ and delete the ati folder

now reinstall the ati driver.

sorry if it doesnt make sense, at work so writing this very quickly, let me know if u get stuck
DeathPony
[OFc] Member
[OFc] Member

naah it didnt seem to work :(

cheers anyway smithers - i think ill probably have to wait till ATi realease new drivers :|

JohnMcClane

Roll back to 9.3?
Catalyst 9.3 works fine for me.
smithster
Regular
Regular

try uninstalling everything like i said before and then just install the driver via device manager.

download just the driver package. unzip it to where ever or however it unpacks.

go to device manager, right click on the display adapter and clcik update driver.
browse to the folder where the driver unpacked itself to and hit ok. should find the right driver and just install what it needs to work.