Crossfire GFX Mainboard and Cards..

Post in here if you're having problems with any hardware\software (not just PC related) or you want some advice on either.

Moderator: Administrator

IXL
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council
Location: WEDS : GRID, THURS : D.O.D : SOURCE, FRI : C/STRIKE SOURCE, SAT/SUN : BATTLEFIELD 2

Crossfire GFX Mainboard and Cards..

Is anyone here running a card/mainboard with that support?

Im considering upgrading, as I havnt for nearly 4 years. Ive deliberatley delayed going PCI ( still on AGP ) to see the newer platform mainboard support.

This is what im thinking of getting and would be interested in what others have or have read about.

MSI 790FX-GD70 AMD 790FX AM3 PCI-E (x16) DDR3
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU

Possibly.. Corsair XMS3 DHX 4GB DDR3-1600 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Not yet decided on a graphics card yet... Depends on the board I choose and if I want to go xfire or just PCI E SLI

http://hothardware.com/Articles/MSI-790 ... rd/?page=1
http://www.futurelooks.com/msi-790fx-gd ... rd-review/

Thing is , ive been Nvidia for the last 6 years, finding it hard to go ATI... :roll:
JohnMcClane

Re: Crossfire GFX Mainboard and Cards..

SLI really doesn't give you much of a graphics advantage, when one of my 6800GTX Ultra's died (causing me to stop using SLI) I didn't notice much of a framerate drop (talking 70 down to 55fps) and was easily cured by turning down some settings. Crossfire on the other hand i've heard to be better, but i'd still go for a 4870x2 over 2 4870's in CrossFireX if that makes sense (its cheaper, less power thirsty and will give you near as the same performance)
IXL
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council
Location: WEDS : GRID, THURS : D.O.D : SOURCE, FRI : C/STRIKE SOURCE, SAT/SUN : BATTLEFIELD 2

Interesting point there McClane.. thanks.

It would be good to know who else is PCI-E here with SLI... Just to get some idea. Im still pretty unsure what to do atm... Need to get a rig sorted within the next month.

What Im warey of, is PCI E, slowing fading away much like AGP has... sure its not going to happen soon, but in 2 years or so who knows... :S I want my next rig to last at least 3.
Highwaywarrior
Regular
Regular

I'm running a PCI SLI setup on my board. Funnily enough, like McClane, one of my gfx cards fried itself and now I'm in single mode. I also haven't experienced much difference in performance terms despite the fact that I'm running two LCD panels off the one card!

HW
Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
IXL
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Well, I went for it on Tuesday and ordered a new mainboard, gfx card, ram and CPU. Same spec as per my first post, but I also got this gfx card, its not SLI compatible, but it is crossfire, so as and when I'll give it a go. I ordered it on 5 day delivery and it came yesterday ..!!!!! :D 8O :D

Sapphire HD 4870 1GB GDDR5

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151334

I got this one mainly cos its the same manu as my first ever powered card, and its ultra quiet. It'l do for now anyway.

Im half way through the build, its all fitted and Ive got to BIOS, but no OS installed yet, so hope to be on later tonight for testing and DoD if I finish it in time.

Gotta say, its just sooooooo quiet......... and the power consumption is amazingly low reading the specs.

See you online soon with Arma 2.
Gavac220

Look forward to it. Welcome to the Arma2 and Radeon crew :twisted:
Stueh
Regular
Regular

IXL can you post your average fps for CSS when you get an o/s installed. So i can compare against my card :) ta

Its a beauty of a card though :)
IXL
[OFc] Clan Council
[OFc] Clan Council

Jolteh wrote:IXL can you post your average fps for CSS when you get an o/s installed. So i can compare against my card :) ta

Its a beauty of a card though :)
Its constantly on about 298-304fps ... but thats on custom maps... not noted others yet.
^Stueh
Regular
Regular

hm i have a feeling i have something wrong with my card then :( ill go fiddle with some settings first :D